Friday, May 18, 2007

"Who is that? Who is that?"

Caleb's first phrase!!!

Tonight, we were looking at a new Thomas the Tank Engine book (well, it's actually a catalogue-type thing to keep track of what trains you have) and he started pointing to the trains and it sounded like he was saying "who is that?" This went on for quite a bit with him pointing to different trains, asking "who is that?" and me telling him who it was. I didn't know what to think. We've thought he's said phrases like this before but never with any consistancy and never to really get information. I just let it go and thought I would wait and see if he did it again.

Then, at dinner he started doing it again. He would point to different things and ask "who is that?" So Andy would tell him, "that's Sadie, that's chicken, that's a camera..." This went on throughout dinner and Caleb seemed excited to be getting answers.

Later, before bed we were reading stories and instead of just letting him point to pictures, I waited until he would ask "who is that?"

I'm so excited and relieved and at the same time hoping that this continues. I know he's still well within the normal range for starting to talk but I can't help but worry sometimes that I did something wrong or didn't do something with him and that's why he's not talking. What really worried me is that he hasn't even been interested in trying to copy sounds or use sounds with objects. He's such an independent little guy- no one can make him do what he doesn't want to do. He'll do it how he wants to and when he wants to and I don't know if I'm patient enough for this. He's probably going to make me wait until he's two before he says anything else :-)

1 comment:

Devon said...

Hahaha! I know that catalog well! Jack was looking at it the other day saying "I have Thomas, I have Gordon, I have James...." Then he said he wanted "to open" Douglas and Donald (which he doesn't have.) I dialed his grandma and gave him the phone....