Monday, November 15, 2010

Out with the trash

This morning was a difficult morning. No, this morning was an almost impossible morning- a feverish 4 yr old, a tantrum-ing 5 yr old, and a mommy quickly learning that her quiet morning to herself was going poof. For extra fun, add poop on the floor, a naked tantrum-ing 5 yr old, and the added drama that illness needs when your 4 yr old is a diva in the making. It was not fun.

The real parenting moment though, was when Caleb, finally bathed, calmed and in fresh pjs, looked at me with watery eyes and a pout-y mouth and asked if I was going to put him out with the trash. It was heartbreaking to hear and immediately my eyes teared up too. I told him that I would never do that and that no matter what, he will always be my favorite boy. Then he asked why and again my heart just melted as I hugged him and, looking him in the eye, assured him that I love him so very much.

It made me think that no matter how much people tell us that they love us sometimes, in some moments, we still need that reassurance that their love will always be there.

No comments: