Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Boy and his Books

The boy loves books.  It's no secret and actually we've had to use books as punishment in recent weeks.  When the boy is misbehaving or non-compliant, the more clinical term, we've taken away video games...

"That's okay Mommy.  Video games were not on my schedule tonight" (yep, we're always referring to our schedule in this house)

So then we take away TV shows.  The recent favorites are Word Girl and Wild Kratz.

"That's okay Mommy.  I didn't want to watch them this afternoon"

So Mommy, with steam coming out of her ears but keeping a very calm voice...

"Well, I'm sorry Caleb but if you're not going to get dressed for school, I can't let you read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (for the 18th time)."  And the boy's eyes grow wide.  "But I need my books.  If I don't have my books, I can't learn."  At 6 yrs old this boy has such a desire to know everything and books are his key.  It's beautiful and heartbreaking.  And Mommy just keeps thinking how crazy this whole situation is.  And the boy is heartbroken but he gets dressed. 

I don't even set a length of time for Harry to be in timeout but the boy goes to school.  He has a really difficult day.  He tells his teacher that Mommy broke his heart.  He tells his TSS that Mommy hurt his heart and needs to apologize.  And Mommy's heart breaks a little more each time she hears.  Tough love sucks but Mommy has to stick to her guns.  Time and time again we see that consistency is the best thing for him.

Harry is on the table in the living room.  It never even got put up.  It doesn't have to be.  The TSS asks the boy if he wants to read.  She suggests Harry Potter.  The boy says, "No, I'm not supposed to read it."

We talk a little bit later.  It's been a rough few weeks.  The boy has taken us on quite a roller coaster.  That's what it's like sometimes.  Despite the rigidness, the rules, Asperger's remains very unpredictable.  He's sorry for being difficult.  He repeats the phrase and sometimes I know he means it.  Sometimes I think it's just another script.  This time it doesn't matter.  I tell him I'm sorry that I hurt his heart.  I tell him that my heart hurt to.  I give the boy back his Harry Potter and he's happily back in Diagon Alley watching as Harry gathers his supplies for school.

No comments: