Monday, December 3, 2007

2 Museums in 2 Days


I had to have a separate post about our whirl wind museum tour :-)

Last Thursday we went to see the new dinosaur exhibit at the Carnegie with Aunt Lindsay. This was great and I highly recommend checking it out (T-Rex will be opening in the spring). We had planned on walking over but it was too windy. Caleb was so good walking through it. I opted to bring the single big stroller instead of the double because I wanted to be able to steer easily and I didn't know how crowded it would be. So Sadie rode (which was good because she was sleepy) and Caleb got to walk around and explore. We walked into the exhibit and I pointed out the dinosaurs and he saw the guys on the high lift working on the rest of the exhibit. But he did go on to see the dinosaurs and we heard lots of "big dinosaur" It was very cool. Sadie liked walking around and touching the fake plants that she could reach. Caleb liked playing with the touch screens and getting Aunt Lindsay to read about the dinosaurs for him. We moved through the dinosaurs and then tried to find the polar bears. After the polar bears we went looking for the other African and North American exhibits (you'd think the polar bears would be with them but nope, not the case- the polar bears are in the Eskimo section). We passed the bird display cases on our way and Caleb happily pointed to a toucan and declared it a mango (got them mixed up from a book). We finally made it to the animals but everyone was tired so we scooted through there pretty quickly.

Sadie was too cute walking around and insisting that I hold her hand. She's very observant of how we do things and learned that Caleb has to hold our hands so she must have to as well.

On Friday we met friends visiting from Canada at the Children's Museum and I learned that I cannot do this museum on my own just yet with these two. Sadie just can't quite keep up with Caleb and I can't help him out with things while also trying to watch her.

We had lots of fun. Caleb still really enjoys the "neighborhood guy" aka Mr. Rogers and he spent lots of time happily sitting on the trolley in the middle of the space. He also liked watching the "how things are made" videos. Sadie spent most of the time just toddling around and watching everyone.

Moving on from there we went to the next area that had a huge doll house set up. Caleb seemed to like playing with the doll house and tried to moved the people around and put them with the right furniture. It was neat watching him play like that. After that was the tool garage and the ramp with the matchbox cars and tracks. Those were a big hit. The final room downstairs was a circus room with different acts that you could try, like a tight-rope walker, stilts, juggling and playing the drums. We also found a percussion set that had you stomp on buttons on the floor to play drums that were above your head. Caleb liked those but they were a little tough to get to work. There was also a podium set up with pretend microphones and a TV so that you could pretend to be giving a speech on TV. Caleb tried that out and seemed to know what to do.

Then we went upstairs to the happiest spot. The second floor has train tables and rice tables and sand tables and all kinds of other stuff. Both Caleb and Sadie had a lot of fun here. Sadie liked the rocking horse (of course) and then found a little baby area with toys to play in. After the trains, Caleb surprised me by going to the rice table and playing there for a good 15 min. He didn't like sticking his hands in the rice too much but liked scooping it and pouring it with the shovels.


1 comment:

Jodi said...

Your kids are sooooo cute!! If Caleb were a little younger, or if Sadie (btw, I LOVE that name!) were a little older, they could actually pass for twins(IMHO)...they just look that much alike!

I wish we had some museums here. That's one of the things I miss about living near a big city...when I lived in Florida I was never more than 45 minutes away from some of the best museums. The nearest museums to me are now two hours away, in the neighboring state. I do miss the museums but hey, at least I live near the Wal-Mart Visitor's Center and can visit it anytime I want to. Lucky me. Yippee.