Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Update- colds

It looks like we've finally made it to the nastiness of of 2 toddlers with colds.

Today Caleb and Sadie both napped at the same time!!! Yeah!!! This is the first nap Caleb has taken in 2 weeks- 2 very very long weeks full of the terrible twos.

Today was probably the worst- we had our first venture out into public that we were not able to complete due to tantrums. Caleb was not happy at all this morning and when Sadie didn't nap, I had the brilliant idea *sarcasm alert* to try to do some grocery shopping. Well, Caleb had a fit getting ready to go, had a fit in the car driving over, had a fit getting out of the car, had a fit walking through the parking lot to the store and had a fit once inside the store (these were all separate fits about different things- not just one "i don't want to go anywhere" fit). When he continued to flip out in the store, I said that's enough, I'm not going to be the one with the screaming 2 yr old trying to buy groceries and driving everyone else crazy. So I had to carry both Sadie and Caleb out of the store (with the diaper bag) and back to the car. All the time, Caleb had another fit because he didn't want to leave the store. Yes, as I put him in his car seat, the whole time with he was yelling "Wanna go shopping." In the car, he calmed down long enough to ask if we could go shopping and I explained that we're not allowed to go into stores carrying on like that. Of course, that set him off again.

At home, he proceeded to have several more fits but finally calmed down enough to eat some lunch while I put Sadie down for her nap. She must have thought we were a couple of nuts all morning, with Caleb screaming and me choosing to ignore his behavior. After lunch, I was actually able to read stories and put him down without any more fits. That meant that Sadie was able to stay asleep. I put Caleb in bed, turned on his CD player and when I checked later, he was sound asleep.

This is all thanks to him finally being able to breath well enough to suck his thumb- a very happy thing. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

No comments: